We are looking for an experienced RF Test Engineer to develop and implement test solutions for new ground-breaking wireless systems. Working closely with our RF Design Engineers you will be part of our test group involved in the testing of early prototypes through to the verification and regulatory testing of the final system.
As an experienced RF Test Engineer you will play a key role in the definition and configuration of test systems, write test plans, and execute tests to characterise and validate new products. You will have the opportunity to work on a broad range of technologies in multiple industries, from high volume short-range consumer wireless products, through to professional high-performance systems.
Type of Work Undertaken by Group
The Test Group is an integral part of the Wireless and Digital Services division within Cambridge Consultants. The division is a leading wireless development partner providing innovative rapid wireless product development and digital services for connected devices. The test group plays vital role in the verification and validation of these products and systems.
Our projects involve many different disciplines, such as Electronics and ASICs, Sensors, Mechanical Engineering, RF Engineering, Signal Processing and Software. The role of Test Engineer therefore involves close interworking with this wide range of disciplines within the entire Company. You will be involved at all phases of the development cycle from concept definition, system specification and detailed design, through to production and future product support.
The RF Test Engineer will work with the RF Design Engineers to develop the test systems and thereby evaluate, validate and document the RF performance of our products. Specifically you will:
- Develop test plans and procedures based on requirement specifications and detailed engineering design specifications
- Construct RF test systems using commercial test equipment and custom fixtures
- Execute test plans and programmes, analyse and collate test results
- Create test reports suitable for further internal analysis, and as deliverables to external clients
- Take responsibility for device hardware configurations and test rig development
- Assist in the regulatory test process
- Work closely with Design Engineers to ensure testability
- A good degree in electronic engineering or related field
- Relevant experience working as an RF test engineer
- Practical experience of building test systems and testing early stage prototypes and final products
- Familiarity with RF test equipment such as spectrum analysers, network analysers, signal generators, power meters
- Familiarity with RF test methods and standard RF blocks such as filters, splitters
- Knowledge of standard RF tests such as receiver sensitivity, receiver noise figure, adjacent channel selectivity
- Ability to analyse problems and adapt tests as necessary to investigate issues
- Able to create and present test reports in a logical and accurate manner
- Excellent communication skills
- Familiarity with environmental chambers
- Antenna measurement techniques
- Knowledge of a broad range of wireless technologies (e.g. GSM, UMTS, LTE, DECT, BT)
- Understanding of the testing required by the Radio Equipment Directive
- Ability to design or maintain automated test programs using Labview, Matlab or other software
- Experience of electronic fault finding