floor51 is on the lookout for someone who is both versatile and technically strong to be based in the Bradfield Centre on the Science Park. You will be responsible for growing an existing system that is currently in use with a household name. This will involve porting a PHP and Perl system to an end-to-end Java architecture. It also includes taking ownership and support of the existing system.
You’ll need to thrive in a small team environment where you need to be proactive and add value through your own contribution. Every day will be different and this will suite someone who likes flexibility and likes using their own initiative. As well as the project work, there will be some system admin work. There will be a lot of learning involved in this role so you would need to be interested in picking up different technologies and have a flexible and practical approach.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Java, Java EE (Tomcat)
- Web Mapping Technologies including UI design and development
- Back end MySQL database development and administration
- Agile approach to Software delivery
- For server side development of JSP web applications and to migrate a PHP driven mapping site
- The candidate will gain significant exposure to geospatial visualization techniques
- Have at least 2 years’ experience working with MySQL
- Interest in query performance and optimization
- Good understanding of database maintenance
- Solid knowledge of the installation, configuration and maintenance of Linux, Apache, MySQL, and Tomcat SCM e.g. Git or SVN
- System scripting e.g. Perl and Bash migrating to Java front-end website production
- Key: Red is essential, Blue is useful
- 3-5 years’ experience in software development and/or engineering Ambitious, energetic, self-starter able to work unsupervised Lateral thinker, comfortable solving difficult problems.
- Can work from home and in a hot desking environment
- Keeps up to date with technology and advancements in software engineering
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, or related subject
- Proven working experience in software development or 2 or more A levels and some experience in developing software applications
- Industry certifications always useful
Location and Working Environment
The business activity is centred around Cambridge. Mixture of hot desking in London and South east and home working Development machines and software licenses provided. Training and development programme
Available on request but excellent opportunity to expand a skill set and be instrumental in the development of emerging products
Apply to email with your CV and covering letter.