You: “Alexa, I’m looking for a job where I can build products straight out of science fiction.”
Alexa: “I have found matching jobs for you in the Alexa Knowledge team in Cambridge, UK. What role are you looking for?”
You: “I’d like to work on making you even smarter than you are today.”
Alexa: “Wonderful. There are multiple roles in Cambridge where you can do that, here are the details … “
Our focus in the Alexa Knowledge team combines natural language understanding, acquiring large volumes of structured knowledge, and building autonomous machine reasoning to allow our customers to get answers to their questions in the most natural way possible. We’re part of a huge research and engineering effort on the Amazon Alexa team.
We’ve solved many complex problems to get to where we are today, but there are still plenty of challenges ahead of us, and Alexa is getting smarter every day. The problems we solve in the Alexa Knowledge team in Cambridge help Alexa get smarter by understanding the different ways people talk, by learning more and more facts about the world, by improving her common sense reasoning and by responding in the most natural way possible in multiple languages.
We set out to build Alexa at Amazon because we believe that voice will fundamentally improve the way people will interact with technology, and we wanted to create a computer in the cloud that could be controlled entirely by your voice.
A successful candidate will have demonstrated academic excellence in a subject such as computational linguistics or natural language processing, will be highly analytical, and have great communication skills.
- PhD Degree in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, Natural Language Processing or a related field;
- Strong academic record of refereed publications in top tier conferences or journals;
- Strong personal interest in learning, researching, and creating new technologies related to foreign languages, linguistics, phonetics and language technology,
- Ability to understand and write code for data analysis, or to enhance the systems question answering capabilities.
- Good communication skills and the ability of working in a team.
Ability to convey academic concepts and research to non-experts;
Active member of the research community
Ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines.
Great team player, able to work effectively with others as well as individually.
Ability to understand and write code for data analysis, or to enhance the systems question answering capabilities.
Experience with NLP/NLU, large datasets or relevant post-doc or industrial research experience is a plus