Reporting to the Director of Engineering, the successful candidate will be responsible for managing a small team of RF & hardware engineers, and leading hardware development activities to improve the existing product range and create a new generation of products.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Accountable for timely delivery of new hardware and support for existing production hardware.
- Manage a small hardware & RF engineering team.
- Manage hardware development projects using appropriate processes for a fast-moving small company environment.
- Manage external sub-contractors involved with hardware development projects.
- Work closely with the Software Team Lead to ensure joined-up product development and successful hardware/software integration.
- Assist with the creation of hardware product requirements documents.
- Involvement with the design, development and support of carrier grade hardware into the telecoms market.
- Involvement with product design validation and regulatory approvals against Safety, EMC and Radio standards.
- Involvement with factory test development and support for NPI activities.
- Ensure that appropriate working practices are followed in the hardware laboratory.
Skills & Experience Required:
- A good degree in Electronic Engineering or Physics or related technical subject.
- Significant post-graduate experience developing, delivering and supporting electronic product hardware over the full product life-cycle in multiple organisations.
- Leadership of engineering teams and/or projects, ideally in a smaller company environment.
- Appreciation of appropriate hardware development processes and practices for a lean, fast-moving small company environment.
- Some experience with the development of wireless products, ideally involving mobile/cellular communications technologies (TETRA, GSM, WCDMA, LTE etc) for carrier or enterprise markets.
- Use and administration of CAD tools such as PADS / Microwave Office etc.
- Good familiarity with lab test equipment used for hardware and RF development.
- Understanding of design for compliance to global EMC, radio and environmental standards.
- Understanding of mechanical & thermal design considerations at board and enclosure level.
- Experience with DFM and DFT and transferring product to stable hi-yield manufacture.
- Well organised, able to work with minimum supervision and responsive to meet challenging project goals and timelines.
- Experience with RF circuit and system-level modelling, design and validation.
- Experience with optical communications systems, ideally radio over fibre technology.
- Knowledge of 3GPP standards for cellular systems.
- Design and validation of linear and switching power supplies.
- Experience with embedded processor hardware & software, and awareness of communications standards and protocols such as Ethernet, TCP/IP, USB, I2C, SPI etc.
- Familiarity with automated test equipment, instrumentation and tools/software such as Labview and Visual Basic or scripting languages.