As part of its 5G programme, the Digital Catapult is leading the delivery of a 5G Testbed in Brighton in collaboration with the Digital Catapult Centre in Brighton, in a drive to develop the next wave of digital economy, focusing on SME engagement.
We are looking for an experienced professional that has a good understanding of the current state of the 5G and telecommunication systems, evolution and roadmap and has hands-on experience with telecommunication network systems to join the Digital Catapult’s 5G programme.
The role offers an exciting mix of activities in engaging with practical deployment, running, and involvement with advanced service development activities around 5G infrastructure until 2020. As part of its 5G programme, the Digital Catapult is leading the delivery of a 5G Testbed in Brighton in collaboration with the Digital Catapult Centre in Brighton, in a drive to develop the next wave of digital economy, focusing on SME engagement. The project will deploy a functional advanced cellular network infrastructure at the Digital Catapult Centre in Brighton, supporting specific features of 5G technology from the broad set defined by the global 5G development roadmap, in collaboration with strategic partners. Its objective is to provide a test ground towards deployment and usability of advanced 5G solutions, integrating these activities with real world end-users in Brighton.
The 5G Brighton Testbed Manager will be based in Brighton, but will work very closely with our technology team in London, and anticipated to be there 1-2 days a week.
- Day-to-day local management of the testbed installation, update and daily running..
- Providing a key point of contact with industry contributors and users of the test bed.
- Manage the engagement of the stakeholders with the testbed and Digital Catapult 5G activities.
- Oversee the SME experiments on the testbed.
- Undertake configuring and managing experimental setups of IP network equipment and dedicated servers.
Technical Capabilities and Experience
- Relevant experience in a business, research or service context in communications systems (network equipment vendor, network operator or similar). Experience as testbed manager, including some financial/project management to manage and oversee services rendered for equipment acquisition, site preparation, installation, assembly, commissioning and testing, is highly desirable.
- Operational knowledge of communications network, with demonstrable knowledge of their architecture, protocols and capability.
- Hands-on experience of WAN IP and local IP LAN networking setup and maintenance (IP network planning, SSH, DNS, NTP, DHCP setup, VLAN setup and management).
Experience in at least one of the following:
- LTE architectures & protocols, SDN/NFV (OpenFlow, OpenStack) would be a strong advantage.
- Practical experience and knowledge of network testbed activities, system administration, tools and platforms, with ability to use scripting languages.
- Practical experience in at least one high-level language (C++/Java/C#) with software development process experience would be a strong advantage..
- Experience of configuration and management of virtual management systems for Linux and Windows.
- Experience in working with network equipment using CLI and/or OMC interfaces; knowledge of existing, and using tools for loading and testing networks (traffic generators and tracing tools) would be desirable.
- Broad understanding of current technology debates would be desirable
- Good presentation / communications skills with the ability to present complex issues simply.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and reasoning skills. • Excellent problem solving and multi-tasking skills, with a creative and flexible attitude.
- Very collaborative working style; desire and ability to share ideas and work in a team.
- Initiative and self-confidence, adaptable and able to cope with ambiguiity, changing and evolving priorities whilst being able to identify new opportunities.
- A graduate degree in Electronic Engineering, Computer Science, Physics or Applied Mathematics with a special focus on network/cellular/distributed systems and protocols, or equivalent experience in industry/RTO in similar contexts.
Travel: The post will be located in Brighton, with up to 40% of the time spent in London office. There will be some additional UK / EU travel.
To apply please follow link - https://digitalcatapult.secure.force.com/hr/fRecruit__ApplyJob?vacancyNo=VN442