Job Purpose & Accountabilities
As a member of the platforms SW team, you will be involved in one or more of the following:
• Software stacks development to enable ARM IP in the IoT ecosystem.
• Development of reference software and demos for ARM Partners' to use and replicate in their own products.
• Software design and implementation of reference secure firmware for ARM processors
• Requirements analysis and task breakdown
• Working with ARM’s OS, OEM and Silicon Partners to drive standards that enable the optimisation, differentiation and fast evolution benefits of ARM’s Partner model
• Providing technical advice and direction to both ARM’s, and ARM Partners', platform implementation projects
• Optimising performance
• Upstreaming and maintenance
ARM is a leader in low power embedded solutions and you can expect to be developing embedded software which will maintain this leadership.
As an active member of an extended Software Development group you can expect to be working face to face with some of the greatest household names in our industry to help develop, optimize and deliver the software needed to support ARM's cutting edge IP, as well as helping ARM grow its role in new market segments.
A successful candidate will be flexible, with a variety of software development skills and a commitment to extend the breadth and depth of their knowledge.
Education & Qualifications
Good university degree (or equivalent), ideally in a numerate subject, although other graduates would be considered if they have relevant experience.
Essential Skills & Experience
• Expert knowledge of embedded C development
• Demonstrable low level device driver development and integration experience
• Experience with at least one leading RTOS
• Proficiency with optimizing app, workloads, and compilers
• Knowledge of a leading RISC based computer architecture
• Experience of software profiling, instrumentation and optimization
• Understanding of how to rigorously test software and design software for test
• Experience of the software lifecycle: has taken complex software from concept, to production and maintenance
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills: Excellent written and spoken English; can write coherent documentation; can influence and build consensus
• Ability to work independently and in a distributed team
• Ability to work face to face with key partners and their internal development programs
• Professional and enthusiastic approach to work
• Flair for lateral thinking and problem solving
• Pro-active and self-motivating
• Willingness to be flexible and accept new challenges
Desirable Skills & Experience:
• Experience with any other programming and scripting languages
• Experience with Linux
• Familiarity with System-on-a-Chip architectures
• An understanding of embedded power management techniques and security technologies.
• Experience with trusted execution environments and trusted applications
• Experience with Enterprise or Networking distributions
• Experience with Android/Chrome/Windows software development
• Experience with GIT/Gerrit configuration management principles
• Familiarity with open-source project development cycles and contribution processes
• Familiarity with testing methodology and automated testing systems
• Experience with assembly programming (not necessarily ARM)
• Knowledge of software design techniques and how to maintain compatibility
• Experience with standard firmware implementations: e.g. UEFI, U-Boot or Coreboot
• Experience with boot-time drivers: for example, SATA, Ethernet, USB, Flash
• An understanding of radio protocol standards such as Bluetooth and/or WirelessLAN