Job Details 3GPP RAN WG2 Standardisation Consultant (permanent)
Job Number: TML021
Job Location: Leatherhead, Surrey, UK
Grade/Salary Band: Competitive depending on experience and previous achievements
NEC Telecom MODUS Ltd is a UK based subsidiary of NEC Corporation of Japan. Based on the requirements of mobile operators in the areas of high speed packet and multi-cast services, we are developing technology, to be used in 4th Generation (3GPP LTE Advanced) and 5th Generation mobile telecommunications systems.
We have been developing technology for NEC’s Radio Access Network since the earliest days of 3G UMTS and our output has found its way into many operators’ networks in Japan and around the world. Our technical teams have a wealth of mobile network knowledge and experience and several NEC Telecom MODUS staff members represent NEC on international standards bodies and industry forums.
A vacancy has arisen for the role of the 3GPP RAN WG2 Standardization delegate, to attend 3GPP RAN WG 2 meetings and contribute to the standardization of NEC’s LTE Advanced and 5G solutions.
Key responsibilities: The key responsibilities will be to:
1. Develop LTE Advanced and 5G feature concepts for NEC’s RAN (Radio Access Network) solutions
2. Prepare internal technical investigation reports and presentations
3. Prepare 3GPP meeting contribution documents
4. Attend as required 3GPP RAN WG2 (and occasionally other WGs) and present own and other NEC contributions
5. Analyse and report on the contributions submitted by other delegates into RAN WG2 (and other WGs as required)
6. Prepare 3GPP meeting reports and de-brief NEC internal teams
7. Follow developments in other 3GPP WG
8. Share information and support other NEC research, engineering and customer facing teams around the world on topics related to 3GPP standardization eg reviews, technical sales or trouble shooting
9. Participate in the brainstorming sessions for concept generation in the 3GPP RAN
Knowledge and Experience:
The successful candidate must have:
1. Excellent knowledge of 3GPP LTE Advanced Specifications and functionality
2. Excellent knowledge of LTE Advanced architectures
3. Awareness of and/or participation in latest research in mobile communications
4. Experience of attending 3GPP (or other standards body) meetings
5. Experience of preparing documents for 3GPP standardisation (or other standards body)
The ideal candidates will bring to the team deep knowledge of LTE Advanced systems specifications as well as a background in UMTS or other radio or wired network telecoms technology. The role will involve representing NEC Telecom MODUS and as such a common sense and logical approach to problem resolution is required. The role requires the ability to think creatively and clearly about problems, generating and presenting possible solutions for review. We are looking for motivated persons who are able to work pro-actively and with determination under minimum supervision, prioritising between tasks and managing their own time. Effective oral and written communication skills are required as well as an ability to build relationships with NEC’s standardization teams around the world and work well with the local NEC Telecom MODUS team. Work is done within an ISO 9000 QA system where we continually look for ways to improve quality and efficiency. Availability to travel and be away for overseas meetings (approximately 4-6 times per year, each time up to 1 week) is required.
Good honours degree or higher in Communications, Electronics, Physics, Computing or Maths.
Please send CV and covering email to email@example.com including the job reference and title “TML021: 3GPP RAN WG2 Standardisation Consultant” in the subject.